Saturday, December 21, 2013

Stereotyping

I don't think of myself as someone who stereotypes, yet I found myself doing it the other day.  Growing up in Hawaii, a Hawaiian, Filipino, Portuguese and Swedish local boy, you couldn't pigeonhole me as such.  I ran (road,track and cross country), water skied, skim boarded and cycled, not your typical local boy activities, I played basketball at the courts with other local kids, just not as much as I did other activities.
So I found it strange that I found humor in this scene.  I pulled up to a traffic light and there was this hard core rap music blaring out of the vehicle next to me.  It was a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and the factory speakers were distorting.  The driver was a late teens early 20's male.  Not to be mean, just for you to get the best visual possible, the driver looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.  White and fluffy, boppin his head, doing the hand wave thing.  I couldn't help but smile and wonder...
In my music collection (at this same age), I had a huge assortment of albums and tapes.  AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Gabby Pahinui, John Denver, Boston, James Taylor, Prince, OMD, just touch on a few of the mixed Genre's.  Why is it then, that I found this so humorous?  I guess stereotyping is something we all do, to a certain extent?
Anyway, enough rambling for today, tomorrow is just a short sleep away... 

No comments:

Post a Comment